April 7, 2009

The Call

Okay so I have composed myself from yesterday,somewhat, and wanted to give the details of how we got "the call." So yesterday was our 13Th Wedding Anniversary. We actually celebrated our Anniversary on Saturday night with a 6 course dinner at a French restaurant it was awesome! Getting back to "the call," Aiden has been battling his allergies and was not his usual energetic self yesterday. He actually even took a nap which he NEVER does these days. So, I was able to watch Oprah without any interruptions. The topic yesterday was about Motherhood - ironic? Oprah was just about over and it was almost 5 o'clock when the phone rang. I assumed it would be Eric's daily call telling me he is leaving work and asking if we need anything from the store. I looked at the caller ID briefly assuming it would be Eric and saw it. Finally what I had been hoping to see now for the last 3 weeks - it said Holt. I thought to myself - "no, this is not happening today! It can't be. It is too perfect." I answered the phone and it was Jennifer from Holt and we said our how do you dos. She then said what I had been hoping she would say, "I have good news for you." At this point I started hyperventilating in the quietest way possible of course so she didn't think I was totally nuts. I heard my phone beep on the other line It was Eric calling to tell me he was coming home (I didn't switch over - sorry honey). Jennifer told me our baby's age and African name and told me she would e-mail us all the information. I said, "good, because I don't think I could write right now." As soon as I hung up the phone rang back and it was Eric (I forgot he was calling on the other line again, sorry honey). At this point I was really hyperventilating,shaking and crying. I told him - "you are not going to believe what just happened." He was starting to get concerned and said "honey are you okay?" I finally got out "yes, I am wonderful. We just got our referral!" After a couple of minutes of me trying to remember to breath and us both saying we can't believe it, we hung up. I kept checking to see if our e-mail was coming through (I was waiting for Eric to open it up of course). I hit the refresh button about a million times. Eric came home with champagne and bubbling cider for Aiden to celebrate. At this point we still hadn't received the e-mail. I knew Holt was going to be closing for the day in about 15 minutes so I called Jennifer back and left her a message telling her we hadn't received our baby's picture yet. I asked her if she could send the information to Eric's work e-mail thinking the file was too big to come through our home e-mail's server. I hoped that Jennifer hadn't already left for the day because I did not think I would be able to wait all night and half the morning to see our girl's picture. Jennifer called me back a few minutes later and sent the e-mail to Eric's work address and it came through. The three of us waited as we pulled her picture up. Aiden was so cute saying "who is it going to be? who is it going to be?" And then we pulled up the first three pictures. These pictures were of her when she was first brought to the center. Her head was shaved and she was lying on her back and she had a little boo boo on her chin. But she had the prettiest big black eyes I had ever seen. She also has the daintiest most proportionate features. Aiden was like "yeah okay can I play Play-do now?" Eric and I read over her information and everything looked good. She looked pretty big. The only concern we had was the boo boo on her chin, which her report did not mention at all. I then started making the calls and while on the phone with my mom Eric scrolled over and noticed two more pictures we hadn't seen. He opened them up and there she was. So beautiful and perfect. Sitting up in a little chair and smiling. She was propped between a pillow and teddy bear and was wearing a little pink dress. She looked so happy and chubby and by the way her chin is perfect - no boo boo or even a scar. Aiden came back over and we said, "what do you think about your little sister. Isn't she cute?" Aiden giggled and nodded yes. He then followed up with "Dad can you come play with me in my room now?" So while Eric and I are so excited about our new addition, Aiden needs some more time. We have told our agency we will accept our referral. Stay tuned for an explanation of what happens next.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary and Referral Day! What a great week! Are you shocked? I'm still in shock. I couldn't sleep all night! You have a great referral story. Your hubby is way too cute! Congratulations!

    Hey, just saw you were born in NJ. My parents met at Hightstown High in NJ. They grew up there :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, what a wonderful story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tears were streaming down my face as I read your story. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't believe all this exciting news! CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you guys. Who knows - maybe we'll see you in Ethiopia. ;)

    ReplyDelete